Autumn is approaching here in the Sonoran Desert which means hiking season is also approaching. We’ve been waiting for months to get back into the great outdoors and enjoy the cooler weather. Although temperatures drop, it’s still hot. Our bodies cool off by perspiring which may further speed up dehydration.
Avoid Dehydration by Following These Tips:1. Hydrate before hitting the trail.
- This means avoiding alcohol and caffeine which deplete your body of the important fluids.
- Make sure there is enough water for all participants in your adventure, including your four-legged hiking companions.
- Don’t forget to sip on your water. It also helps reduce the weight of your pack!
- If the route is shaded, it will help protect you.
- If the route is in full sun, consider going early in the morning or later in the evening when the sun is not as high or intense.
- Your clothing choices may protect your skin and shield your head from the scorching sun.
- Mmmm…did someone say, “pretzels”?
- Another option is to drink fluids with electrolytes.